In August 2014 the Shepway Sports Trust steering group was established which consists of key partners including representatives from local facilities, Shepway District Council, School Games Team, Clubs, Kent Sport and CATCH Sports4Kids as well as members of the trust. The steering group will ensure that all of the trust’s work is feeding into other local, regional and national strategies and is joined up with partner organisations where appropriate and possible.
The four selected sports were: Hockey, Rugby, Basketball and Cricket.
All of the initiatives and programmes the trust have developed so far certainly lay the foundations to help us achieve our main aims and objectives however, in order to make a significant impact on sport locally the trust feel that an appropriate way to progress this is to:
- Select 4 sports to become Shepway Sports Trust ‘Focus Sports’
- Establish Development Groups for each Focus Sport
- Each Development Group to create development plans and clear, visual pathways for players, coaches and parents
Each Focus Sport Development Plan and player/coach pathway will contain the minimum interventions as follows:
- Provision for Early Years, Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1 pupils through CATCH Sports4Kids (in school and the community)
- Blocks of school sport coaching will be provided to all partner schools (primary and secondary)
- New development and elite, school based leagues will be implemented which will also act as talent pathways into district and club squads
- Satellite clubs will be implemented in every partner school
- StreetGames Doorstep Sports Clubs will be implemented in all 4 sports
- Coaching and officiating bursaries will be available to all coaches and volunteers
- More courses and workshops will be hosted locally in order to up-skill our local workforce and volunteer base
- Existing and new volunteers will be eligible to sign up to our volunteer and bursary scheme, Recognize, in order to reward existing volunteers and encourage new volunteers to get involved
- Support for the development of district squads and training/matches
These points are a snapshot of how each of the focus sports will be developed and the plans and pathways will be published as soon as the Development Groups have met and agreed on the most appropriate way forward. If you are interested to find out more on how these sports were selected then please take the time to read the Focus Sport document.
If you have any further questions or are interested to get involved in one of our focus sports then please contact Shepway Sports Trust.